Thursday, July 24, 2008

MacCrossings

macbook At various roundtables and the MinistryTech conferences we discussed Macs heavily. When talking about supporting Macs in a MS environment we never discussed if we would allow Macs on the network, it was always a what are you doing. Well my internal answer to that was, "If they leave me alone, I'll leave them alone." I'm realizing that may not be. Jason Lee has documented the integration of Mac hardware into an Active Directory domain. It is my starting point and we are moving to a more Mac-friendly environment.

Despite what the commercials depict, PC's and Macs generally do the same thing. If we can allow people to to the same work on a platform they are comfortable and knowledgeable with, why not?

Management tools are getting better and the line between the two worlds is becoming less and less prominent. Lately, I've been using a couple of Macs (MacBook, and MacMini). I've come to the conclusion they really are cool. Don't tell anyone I said this, I'll emphatically deny it. I don't see myself using one anytime in the distant future but for commodity computers their UI is sleek and simple, it's easy to learn, the OS is stable, and the hardware is designed specifically to work together.

Am I being blinded by pretty hardware and marketing hype?

1 comment:

Kinsey said...

FOSTER!!! When is the little angel coming?! How's your wife doing? We wouldn't mind getting together sometime, ya know!