Friday, July 18, 2008

Baskin Robins vs Linux

There are many flavors of Linux out there in various forms. Some have cool names some have cool branding. I started out with RedHat. Then I moved to their Fedora distro. Now I am using Ubuntu and now they are my go-to-guys for two major revisions. I use ubuntu because there is a plethora of detailed of instructions sets for step-by-step instructions with screen shots and complete command line examples. I'm a gumby when it comes to Linux and I know that. It's been nice; all I need to do is add ubuntu and a description of what I want to accomplish in a search bar and I'll find newbie instructions so I can do what I want.

Linux is a great tool (OpenSource, Yeah!) since it can run on outdated hardware and there are no licensing fees associated with it. Some people use it to run everything from testing to full production.

I know why I chose Ubuntu but it makes me wonder why people choose their specific flavor of Linux. Am I missing out on some great gem or going about Linux entirely the wrong way?

No comments: