Friday, July 18, 2008

OpenOffice

Ever since I was exposed to OpenOffice in 2003 I've been keeping an eye on it. My interest was initially sparked by an article that indicated the City of Houston was moving away from MS Office to a hosted product called SimDesk. That got me looking around and I came across OO. I've used sporadically on  personal level but haven't thought much about moving our organization to it until now. We have a volunteer that is a trainer and he is willing to help get our church offices converted. I plan to meet with him and iron out some of the logistics but needless to say I'm very interested. I've said it before but I'll say it again, Non-profit pricing models are great but OpenSource pricing is hard to beat. This is really possible especially since the OpenSource applications have gotten so good in the recent years.

I'm interested if any other organizations have scrapped MS Office for an openSource package like OpenOffice.

As a follow up the City of Houston is no longer using StarOffice as far as I can tell.

No comments: