Friday, April 11, 2008

Desktop Replacement Program 2008

The year that I started a Crossings I implemented a program to replace every heavily used PC on a regular basis. In the past they would order single computers when they either died or they became too slow for the person using the PC.

Currently we are on a 3 year rotating basis for CPU's that are worked on everyday. We just ordered our 2008 batch and needless to say I'm pretty pumped about them. This year marks we will be replacing the last set of computers that were here when I started. It is a momentous occasion and I have the leadership of Crossings to thank for supporting our endeavor to keep our hardware current and useful.

If you look at my track record you fill find out that I am not brandcentric. The first year I ordered Dell because they were the best, cheapest computers for what we were looking for. The next year's model ended up being HP's because we got a better price for what we were looking for. This year we are back to Dell. Some of you might be rolling your eyes by now but the way I look at it: We order desktops once a year and from year to year a new model will be out by the next time we order. So, were are not completely standardized but we have gotten our desktop models down to 3 for the workstations that are used on a daily basis.

The computers that are still alive and kicking when they are replaced go to the bone yard to be frankensteined and used as check-in stations or other various tasks.

the 2008 model specs...
  • Optiplex 740
  • AMD Athlon x64 x2 2.9 GHz processor
  • 2GB RAM
  • WinXP Pro Sp2
  • Dual Head DVI/VGA video card with 256 MB
  • 17" Monitor with adjustable stand
  • DVD +/- Optical drive
  • Includes speakers
All together a pretty good computer that will be smoking for the next 3 years.

3 comments:

Steve said...

Hi! I'm Steve and new to OKC and just began attending Crossings. Does anyone else on staff have a blog yet? Thanks!

Foster said...

We are currently overhauling our site which will include blogs so we hope to have many more of the staff blogging, but as of right now I am the only rogue blogger.
Welcome to OKC and Crossings. Hope to see you around Steve.

Steve said...

Thanks, I appreciate it!