Monday, January 21, 2008

Favorite time Savers

I wanted to jot down a list of some of my favorite IT time saving applications/utilities/technology. What better place to keep it than here.

In no particular order
  • UltraVNC
    • Allows to remotely share same computer space as the person that needs assistance
    • Uses encryption for username and passwords
    • Active Directory security enable
  • Microsoft Group Policy
    • Implements changes based on groups and computer types
    • Gives the ability to deploy software based on security
  • Database of Computers
    • using a vb script file that runs on log in we gather information about each computer and dump into a database
    • records info about hardware, software, and user log in/out activity
  • Remote Desktop Connection
    • Based on Terminal Server technology RDP allows you to connect into a server or workstation from a remote location.
    • It's great because it comes on all machines after XP and is very helpful since it allows remote users to login to their normal computer giving the a familiar work environment.
  • VPN
    • We give a select few work-a-holics the ability to get into the network from home with a VPN client.
    • This works great in conjunction with RDP but does increase the calls that I get at random hours of the day (or mostly night).
  • Volume Shadow Copy
    • Windows Server 2003 comes with a service available called a Volume Shadow Copy.
      • The way that this works is you can turn on Shadow Copy on a drive volume and it will make scheduled "backups" of the files that are located in shared folders on that particular drive
    • This enables a client to be give to users and they restore their own corrupted, deleted, or damaged documents with out having to visit any tapes or backup programs.
  • Helpdesk Software
    • We use a relatively low tech Helpdesk application. It was a free web app that I served out on a linux box called MyHelpDesk
      • Reasons why I like MyHelpDesk: Free, fairly flexible, can be updated and maintained.
    • It allows us to keep track of the needs of our organization and update the priority of what is coming in.
This list is not exhaustive but it a good start. If I think of some more I'll make a new thread

1 comment:

Foster said...

I am not sure if I can comment on my own blog but after publishing and proofing I notice that I have several Microsoft things listed. I didn't realize that I was that big of a Microsoft groupie but it kind of surprised me. Maybe it is just because we are a almost completely exclusive MS shop (I'll say that so I can sleep at night).