Friday, May 30, 2008

YouVersion

My brother-in-law (a children's pastor in Owasso, OK) was asking me the other day about any great places that I use on the web. It is funny that even though I feel like I spend my life on the internet I didn't have any great nuggets to share with him. He then asked me if I used YouVersion. I couldn't be too cool and act like I already knew about it because I was very intrigued. When I got home to check it out I immediately fell in love with it. Basically it is a web-application that allows you to read the scriptures and make notes and comments on specific what you are reading. I was trying to do this with my personal bible study and a blogger account. It was a little difficult. YouVersion gives you the ability to do what I was looking for and quite a bit more. It also allows you to share your thoughts and ideas with others and they can in turn share theirs with you. This would be great for small groups who want to connect with each other int their reading of the scripture.

As I was browsing around on the site I noticed that the copyright was LifeChurch.tv. The have been doing some really interesting stuff recently. I've been really impressed with their effort and drive to share their resources. This app could have been built only for their church members and they could have packaged it and sold it to others that were interested. Instead, they made it functional and available to all believers. This could be a huge blessing to many people and get more people digging into God's Word. Many people and their churches are receiving blessings from the openness of LC and their willingness to share and equip.

Their leadership and example encourages me to share our resources and knowledge for the Church not just our church.

No comments: