Friday, June 6, 2008

Farewell to a Great Table Waiter

A couple of months ago Wayne Bollenbacher (my immediate supervisor) announced that he was was being called to a different job at a different organization. He spent 12 years at Crossings Community Church leading the church by serving. He always had wise, kind, and encouraging words to say but what impacted me the most was the spirit with which he served. Numerous times in the announcement of Wayne leaving I'd hear him say "I'd be most happy if my epitaph read: 'he was a great table waiter.'" His humility and character really reflected what a great table waiter is. Most people think that the role of a table waiter is second class and something to be looked down on. Wayne blew those perceptions out of the water for me and established the table waiter as an honorable job that's a very important part of ministry. Whatever needed to be done he would do it. He wore many different hats here which included treasurer, human relations, operations manager, finance, and the man with all of the answers. I witnessed him walk down the halls time after time and although no one could see and he wasn't a janitor, he'd pick up trash or wipe up the floors. In my absence he would act as tier 1 tech support. The list could go on and on of how he would see some kind of support service that needed to be done and he would do it.

Wayne lead by example with Love and great effort and effort for the Kingdom. He taught me to be proud of the support staff position and for that I couldn't thank him enough. This goes without saying, Wayne will be greatly missed.

No comments: